Saturday, August 10, 2013

Social Media




I was one of those people who looked at social media as something negative. I didn't parade that idea around or made it a big deal but deep down I guess I looked at social media as a parasite that clawed out of Satan's asshole.

Wait, scratch that last analogy. That sounded fucking awesome.

I know, I know, social media has its perks etcetera, etcetera but really, how many users actually use it to the utmost potential? I mean take my facebook for example; out of 500 people, only 2 actually use it for beneficial purposes. The rest play games and shit and spam my inbox with motherfucking invites.

Seriously, if you want to play a game, get off facebook.

I had this conversation with my brother and cousins just a few days ago and we were discussing how in some circles, the number of friends are somehow proportional to one's prestige. And it's actually true. You have this group that is so obsessed with the number of friends they actually have on facebook. I mean come the fuck on. Nobody is actually friends with 5000 people.

The worst thing is that they take offense when you decide to ignore their request. It's as if you're putting their plan for world domination to a startling halt and they hate you for it. That's fucking psychotic, man.

But here's the thing. It's not all bad. I say that without even the tiniest hint of sarcasm.

See, someone asked me why I found the need to create a Twitter account when I already have this blog. Which is a valid question really, considering I always make fun of people who have an account on every single social media network available.

The reason I created the twitter account was because I was missing out on a lot of news; the ones related to the kids here and the real ones that educate me. I mean seriously, since I've got twitter, it's so god damned easy to have news delivered to me. It's like having a 24 hour teleportable paper boy.

That's not all, obviously. I somehow find it difficult to share things on one medium. For example, on this blog, I can just go on a non-stop ranting spree that might give eye cancer to the people who read it. On here I explore the depth of my consciousness by challenging myself to write essay-long pieces which I may or may not be serious about. On twitter, the whole 140 character limit forces me to not do that. So on twitter, I'm one hell of a silly bastard. I talk about having mandibles and three nipples and so on, things that are very light and not really thought provoking.

It basically gives one a chance to explore multiple facets of their personality. Not everybody, obviously. It's a good thing. Why am I writing about something so mundane such as this? God knows, man. I found it in my draft section and I had to finish it. I must've thought that it would be a good post but nope, that's a fucking delusion.

Cheers.


No comments: