Sunday, October 9, 2011

Clinicals: Fuck yeah, awesomeness.

While I may be quite the dork by keeping track of days I spend being a fourth year student, I have to say that I really don't mind it.

See, all through the three years of theoretical mind-fuck festivities, I've always looked forward to the day that we'd actually get the chance to interact and actually use our fucking minds instead of relying upon books solely. So yesterday being the first day of clinicals, it was... Frankly quite fucked up. Everything was in a rush, even when we had to shift to another classroom, we had to do it with some sort of rabid fervour and to be honest, I was not used to it. In my head, I was still thinking that fuck, we're not in a fucking emergency room or anything, why the fuck do we need to rush?



Then I actually realised that while I wasn't needed for any emergency, I'm in theory, already a doctor. I'm in a hospital, I'm seeing patients and I'm trying to think of what is wrong with said person. Sure, we were only taking history and shit but the fact remains that we have already come to a point that we are meeting people with ailments with one purpose which is to cure them.

Or you know... Do what this guy does...


Quite frightening indeed.

With this enlightenment, I went to class today and it was fuck awesome. We had no textbook present, and here the lecturer was aiming a shotgun of questions at us. We needed to answer, well, I did because the egoistical maniac in me would be wounded if I did not. Refreshing, actually, it's been a while since I've actually felt that rush, the need to extract information from the brain outside of the exam hall. No books to guide you, nothing to actually help and the only thing you could rely on is the inquisitive nature of yourself.

Eight in the morning to three in the evening, non-stop. I was hit hard at first, but then today I felt productive, another thing which I have not felt in quite a while. The workaholic gene is getting to me. Also, lab coats are fuck awesome, it's like now I'm actually entitled to fucken wear the damn thing.

Quite... Close actually...


What sucks though is my apparent lack of conversational skills and also my non-existent Arabic fluency. Yeah. That's fucked up.

Also, I saw a 25 year old kid today that looked no older than 12. Fuck yeah.

No comments: