Thursday, January 9, 2014

Riot In the Streets





I found myself in a strange situation yesterday.

I finished class and had a meeting to attend. I was fucking famished though and after convincing myself that the meeting comes second after my gluttony, I bought some food and made my way to a coffeeshop. Some other Malaysian kids were there so I joined them out of common courtesy rather than the need for companionship.

We talked about stuff (Mostly Medicine, who am I kidding) and then I noticed people, a lot of them, sprinting in our general direction. Then there were people screaming and fighting and shouting.

Next thing I knew, I had my bag slung over my shoulder and I was actively searching for the best route out of the area. I would've left if it wasn't for the other kids interrupting my train of thought. It was only when they asked each other what was going on I snapped out of it.

Then one of them just picks up his bag, looks at us and said 'I'm going to go look for my friend, I'm worried about him'. And I can't understand that. Why'd you need to go through the throng of people? Can't you call the guy? Why the concern? He should be able to take care of himself. And he's not even family. I understand that some friends are much more important than others, hell, if my best friends were on the other side of the riot, I'd split the earth to get to them.

All I could think about at the time was guns, for some reason. Then I saw this guy reach into his jacket and I was like 'Well fuck, I'm going to get shot because I was hungry'. Always thought I'd be able to keep my composure in these situations and I guess I did, but it wasn't what I expected. I was afraid, I guess. Good thing the fear didn't paralyse the shit out of me.

I don't know man, situations like this makes me feel like EDI.

"Commander, I have a question concerning human behaviour"

No comments: