Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Late Nights with Putri I



                “I’m curious,” I said, pausing while she stuffed her face with more ice cream. She frowned momentarily, knowing that every time I was curious, it meant that she had to give a long explanation. “You’re a divine princess or goddess; something along that line, am I right?”

                “Get to the point. The ice cream’s melting.”

                “I have some more in the fridge so bear with me. You’re some sort of celestial being, probably immortal and so on and so forth. Aren’t you supposed to, I don’t know, dress the part? I mean, aren’t you supposed to descend down to earth and blind mankind with your utter magnificence and splendour?” She took the spoon out of her mouth and set it down on the table beside the half empty tub of Rainbow Paddle Pop. Clearing her throat, she folded her hands and rested her chin upon them, her sparkling brown eyes piercing mine.

                “I don’t expect you to understand, being a mortal and all but do you even have the faintest idea on how long it takes to weave a bloody piece of kain songket to match my stature? Since you’re so interested, why don’t you take a guess.” She sneered the way only a goddess could. I should be thankful that it didn’t include any malice.

                “Don’t know. A year? Maybe two?”

                “A YEAR?!” she boomed, ever the one to have a penchant for the dramatic. “A year to set up the weaving thingy, maybe. Then there’s the appointment of a tailor that obviously has to be some sort of magical creature. And then the selection of silk, that takes, what, another two? Oh, of course, can’t forget the motive. The weaving takes five. Making the cloth shimmer takes ten, hiring mages to infuse whatever crazy shit they want to bla, bla, bla boring.” She sunk into her seat and grumbled. “There’s a tailor in the other world under patronage of our family, she’s supposedly making this outfit for my Mom. She’s been there for over 80 years. Doing nothing but weaving. Let that fact sink in.” I was about to interject when all of the sudden, she continued rambling.

                “Do you know how fucking uncomfortable a completely magical set of silk kebaya is? It’s like being wrapped in foil and then thrown into an oven which happens to be the god damned planet. Ohh but if we just wear some normal kebaya, it won’t be special to all you people. It won’t be divine, it won’t move you cunts. We have to be all full of grace and speak in some bloody ancient dialect and wear shimmering, shiny clothes that weighs a fucking tonne and only then you acknowledge us as magical.” She began to mock the people in a hilariously nasal voice. “Ooh tuan puteri, ooh turun dari kayangan, ooh, ooh, give me a fucking break.”

                I grit my teeth to prevent the laughter from escaping. I was sure that she wouldn’t take offense; however, it didn’t seem smart for me to push my luck. Especially considering the stories about them being very fickle beings.

                “Well, yes, okay, I get it. But really, don’t you have normal clothes? You know, some that aren’t as magical as the others?” Her attention had already returned to the tub of dessert, half melted by then; islands of stubborn ice cream floating in a homogenous sea of what used to be their brethren. She soaked a piece of bread in the thick liquid and hastily stuffed it into her mouth.

                “These are my normal clothes,” she managed to say before swallowing.

                “Really. An oversized t-shirt and shorts. That’s the normal, everyday clothing for a princess?” It’s not the strangest thing, I’d say but I enjoyed taunting her. Yes, there’s a chance that I might get turned into a piece of furniture but still, I’d take my chances.

                “I don’t understand; what do you expect me to say? Do I have a stash of traditional clothing that are less magical and splendid? Yes, I do. Do I wear them occasionally? Yes, when there’s nothing else to wear or I want to feel a bit pretty and classy. Is it strange that I prefer to wear normal fucking clothes like the ones I have on right now? No, it is not because there are a lot of things that I need to do which does not allow me to bloody draw attention to myself. Draw attention to myself how, you ask? By wearing a fucking kebaya in the middle of the fucking day, in the middle of the fucking city, maybe.” She brandished the spoon as a weapon and waved it in front of my face. “Now, do I need to beat you with this and turn you into a monkey or are you still going to ask me vaguely insulting questions?”

                I raised my hands in mock defeat and laughed, hoping that it might calm her down. This was how it had been for the past year, she’d somehow appear in my kitchen in the middle of the night and then we’d talk about stuff. It freaked me out the first couple of times but things were better when she’d arrive outside of the front door. Nowadays she made my home a getaway place and would appear inside of my house without permission, all of the sudden asking for something to eat or drink. I got used to it eventually.

                “I want more of this. If there’s one thing you people are good at, it’s making crazy food,” she said, pushing aside the empty tub of ice cream.

                “I honestly think that you’ve had enough, shit woman, that’s a whole tub.”

                “I’ll have you know that I, Putri Intan Cenderawasih, have cursed a whole village for much less than being denied food,” she smiled demurely while she said it but it would have been no different if she had a dagger pressed on my throat. “Let’s not ruin this nice little arrangement we have here, hmm?”

                “That’s a blatant abuse of power and you know it,” I tried to act as if I was unfazed but she saw through my act in an instant.

                “The laws of man holds no sway over my power. Now, get me the ice cream.” I decided to give it one last shot, just to see if I could get away with it.

                “Say please.” She rose from her seat and I could see the swirling hurricane of rage developing beneath the façade of her smiling face.

                “Get me the fucking ice cream, mortal, and I will spare your family from being feasted upon by the creatures that lurk in the corner of your darkest nightmares,” she bellowed and then, somewhat surprisingly, a small squeak appeared at the end. “Please.”

                “Now, that wasn’t so hard, was it, Princess?” The spoon hit me square on the chin.

No comments: