Thursday, April 22, 2010

A Stranger's Silence

I love meeting people on the streets. The kind that I know I'll never see again for the rest of my life. It somehow preserves a sense of beauty to it, the faces of strangers that just disappears the moment something else comes up. That fragile short piece of memory just dissipates the moment you turn your thoughts away from it.

What makes it special though, is the silence of it all, the absence of conversations. Anyone I meet can be anyone I want them to be, in that minor two or three seconds in which we cross paths, I can make them demons, angels, lovers, humane even. The moment we lock eyes, conversations spark up in my brain, we'll talk, he or she as a character in a play, each with their own scripts and plots.

Though I must say, the hot ones are reserved as main characters. Just saying.

Anyways, this is why I love a traffic congestion, the characters show their true colours and I can sit and observe in my little reserved space in a vehicle, exactly like a play. I look around and there's bound to be someone who locks eyes with me and then... Then the act begins. She's a paranoid schizophrenic and no one understands her. He lost too much in the world, too much for a human being to endure. The old man finds himself wandering aimlessly because he lost his wife whom he had known for fifty years. A little girl plots on how to kill her abusive parents. So much potential...

Then a few seconds later, it ends.

However, I admit that the best acts are when I'm involved. As in there's an active conversation going on in my brain. Usually it happens when *cough* theres a hot chic that looks at me *cough*. Her gestures help in making the story each movement of her head, the way she flicks a stray strand of hair away... I'll say hi, she (Or my alter ego, it works both ways) replies, then the story unfolds... Or she starts the conversation... Sometimes it jumps straight to the climax sometimes it's at an ending. Sometimes she's screaming, sometimes she's crying, sometimes she offers advice and sometimes... Sometimes, she's dying.

God I love those moments...

No comments: