Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Knowledge Censorship.

I remembered once when I was a kid, I found Khalil Gibran's book amongst the bookshelves in the basement. So I read a bit and at that time, it was alien to me, I couldn't understand what the man was trying to project so I put it aside. Then I told my Dad and he told me that the book was banned in Malaysia.

Banned. In Malaysia.




I didn't understand, what is this censorship? At that age I found it hard to believe that there exists a group of people who held absolute authority over what others can or cannot read. As I grew older, I found out more and in the end I was disgusted.

Then I heard about the greatest book to have been banned, i.e. The Satanic verses.


The book. One that made nations cry out in anger and promises of holy retribution were made. I was intrigued, what could possibly be in it that would cause that much of an uproar? Then I decided that eh, if the majority agrees on the fact that the book is bad, then it probably is. So I buried my curiosity deep and continued as if nothing happened.

Fast forward to college. A dear friend came up to me and asked me if I wanted a digital copy of a book his friend gave him. I asked if it was any good and he said that it was one of the better books he's read so far. So I took it and while at home, I opened the file and the name in bold read: The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie.

At this point I must admit that I was conflicted. This is the book that countless people have spat upon, burned and torn. Should I, or should I not? Go against the flow of society and possibly never return or ignore  something for once and go on with my life? Then I realised that there I was, debating about whether or not I should read a book in which I have not the slightest idea what the content is. I was simply assuming that I would fall off a cliff of belief and never be able to claw my way back up. I assumed that the content would change my life and destroy my belief. I assumed that my faith was brittle. I assumed. Like a fucking cunt.

Getting over my stupidity, I opened the file and read the book in six hours, only pausing to have a meal or relief myself. Did the content change me? Quite, but not in the manner people have pointed out. Was I disturbed? Nope, I was amused. To be honest, Rushdie remains one of the greatest writers to date and I'll be damned if I don't recognise genius. Was I happy? Immensely. Not at the fact that I read a forbidden book, no, it's because that day, I gained a metaphorical backbone. And I read a great book. I could make a decision solely on my own, in a manner, I was released from the chains which till today, still bind our society.

No, I'm not urging anyone to go ahead and read the very same book. I myself know that it's not for everyone, hell, it's not suitable for even the majority. I could laugh it off and appreciate a fictional tale simply as what it is: Fiction. Not many could. Instead, I urge people to read whatever the fuck they want to.

If you do not know of something, find out. To hell with what people say, fuck all the negatives and at the same time, fuck all the positives as well. Be as neutral as possible and then dive headlong into it. Yes, you might end up injuring yourself. Yes, you might regret your decision. It might change you wholly as a person but honestly, I belief that rather than being submerged in rumours and word of mouth where you can't even fucking separate the truth from the lies, people would be better off being hurt. At least then you'd know the absolute truth. And then you can start making decisions and choices and nobody can hold it against you. You made a fucking stand and for what it's worth, you deserve that respect.

That's why I find it hard to stomach the fact that this fucking censorship bullshit is still going on. The recent work of Irshad Manji, Khalil Gibran, Marquis de Sade, Milan Kundera, Irvine Welsh, Anthony Burgess... For fuck's sake, if I were to list every single work, it would eat up half the size of this post.

I understand, the government is trying to protect the people from harmful, indecent material. How brave and how valiant. Well then, at which point does decency morph into indecency or is that determined also by the very same people who refuses to read most of the material published?

It's hilarious. Here's to progress.

*

Eargasm of the day.


No comments: