Thursday, April 4, 2013

Sleepless Nights 80 - Agora; The Ultimate Rage Inducing Film



Only Mono can calm the flaming fury of my heart.


I watched Agora.

It's a film about the final years of Hypatia; a philosopher in Alexandria circa 400 BC.


No, I'm not going to say that I knew who Hypatia was before, I am quite unlearned as it is but from the research I made (And to be honest, picturing her as Rachel Weisz did much more to elevate her status) she was fucking awesome. That being said, the film did so many fucking things to rustle my jimmies.

I say this in utter seriousness; the scene depicting the sack of the Serapeum is quite easily the most heart-wrenching in theatre. It brought so much pain, what the fuck could book or scrolls have ever ddone to warrant that?

As I was watching it, I remembered other similar tales. The destruction of Baitul Hikma (House of Wisdom) by Hulagu Khan, the sack of Nalanda by Bakhtiyar Khilji, the Imperial Library of Constantinople destroyed by the fourth crusade and of course, only two years ago; during the night of the Egyptian revolution, the Egyptian Scientific Institute was set on fire.

What the fuck? I honestly am at a fucking loss. I might not be learned in the art of warfare but if I'm sure that destroying libraries has nothing to do with winning them. If I was a leader and my general advises me to fucking burn down a fucking library, I swear to God, I will flay him/her. It is a sin and in my opinion, quite possibly the only one where mercy must be withheld.

Apparently, these cunt lords do not realise the gravity of their heinous act. When you destroy places of learnings, mediums of teaching, you take away the knowledge that could be passed on to... Millions of people. I mean... I don't have the words to describe it. Unbelievable.

Back to Agora. After all the fuckupperry, they still managed to one up said act by fucking murdering the person who is now considered a fucking genius during that age. Here's an excerpt by the historian Socrates Scholasticus describing the events:

They kidnapped Hypatia on her way home and took her to the "Church called Caesareum. They then completely stripped her, and then murdered her with tiles". Socrates Scholasticus was hence interpreted as saying that, while she was still alive, Hypatia's flesh was torn off using oyster shells (tiles; the Greek word is ostrakois, which literally means "oystershells" but the word was also used for brick tiles on the roofs of houses and for pottery sherds). Afterward, the men proceeded to mutilate her, and finally burn her limbs. When news broke of Hypatia's murder, it provoked great public denouncement, not only against Cyril, but against the whole Alexandrian Christian community. Scholasticus closes with a lament: "Surely nothing can be farther from the spirit of Christianity than the allowance of massacres, fights, and transactions of that sort".

Are you fucking angry yet? Because it sure as fucking hell set fire to my head.

That's not even the fucking worst part. She was brutally murdered simply because she was caught in between a political struggle between the bishop of Alexandria and the Prefect (Governor). She dies because two men desired power. The brightest mind extinguished because of some fucking political game.

So after the film, I had some Earl Grey and then it dawned upon me like a fucking tsunami. Some people aren't going to think that this injustice was just because two fucks are power hungry. No. They're going to infuse the whole fucking act by saying 'It's those hateful Christians that did it'. Because why accept the simple explanation when you can introduce religion and bump it a fucking nopefuck level above its scale.


Fuck man. Admittedly, I have severe anger issues but that shit really caught me by the balls.

*

Today I willed myself to tune the last three strings on my guitar. It has been sounding like shit's shit but I've been too scared because if it snaps, then I'll have to buy new ones and I really don't want to go so far away from my house. It didn't snap, thankfully but something tells me that it should because the strings are as rusty as de Sade's old whore in 120 days of Sodom.

ENT feels like a holiday. I will regret my actions during this timeframe, I am fucking sure of that but my laziness pins me down and rams me hard from behind everyday. That was a gay joke. Ha. Ha.

I came back here and all of the sudden, my reading status drops down to zero. No, less than that, it's somewhere in the region of... -10-ish. It sucks. I feel stupid and unlearned.

On a more serious note, how long has it been since I've written ANYTHING? Being sorely disappointed in myself doesn't even come close to this feeling. My mind is empty, I feel lazy as fuck and while the ideas are there, I don't know how to fucking start. I keep thinking that I should write on paper so that whenever an idea strikes, I can quickly jot it down but it's so fucking hard. Things that I wrote down becomes this jumbled mess of tangled ideas and it's almost impossible to link them together.

What the fuck is going to happen?

No comments: